Replace Lost and stolen Passport

Posted by

Lost your passport? Want to get the new one? Before you start with the procedure of getting the new passport in place of lost passport first thing that you need to do is report the loss of your passport so that if your passport gets into wrong hand it wouldn’t matter. Now, to replace or get the new passport in place of your stolen passport steps for that are almost similar to that of getting a new passport. The only difference is that you need to provide the document that says that your passport is stolen.


Steps that you need to follow for getting the new passport in place of stolen passport are:

  1. Report lost passport
  2. Fill up the passport application form
  3. Gather the document require for getting new passport
  4. Submit the form

Report lost passport

Report for the loss of your passport can be filed in various ways:

First is filing a complaint form online. For that, you need to visit this site:

Once you have agreed to the terms and condition you will be navigated to the above page here you select report lost or stolen and hit the submit button as shown in above figure.

After that a form will appear, there fill the details that are compulsory and the one you can fill and follow the steps through which you are navigated.

The second method to report the complaint about the stolen passport is to call to National Passport Information on their toll-free number 1-877-487-2778 or TTY 1-888-874-7793. It seems to be the easiest and fastest way but it could be very difficult to connect and convey as this number is not only for this purpose it is customer service number.

The final method is to fill up the DS-64 form that is Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport. Make sure that you answer all the question possible and in detail. Then send the signed form to this address:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

To download DS-64 form visit:

The DS-64 form will look like the above picture.

You can also send this form with the application form for the new passport.

Few things that you should know when you report stolen and lost Passport

  • Passport becomes invalid once it is lost or stolen and it is reported by telephone or by submitting the DS-64 form. Once it becomes invalid it can no longer be used for traveling.
  • All the information that you provide regarding lost and stolen passport via DS-64 form or telephone is entered in the counselor’s lost/stolen passport system.
  • If somehow you get back the Stolen or lost passport you need to submit it to the address same as submitting the report. After you have submitted you can get it back, then they will give you after canceling it or else it will be destroyed.
  • Once a passport becomes invalid due to lost or stolen report in can no longer be validated.

Fill up for the Passport application form for stolen or lost passport renewal

Process for filling up for the passport application form for stolen and lost passport renewal is similar to that of the process of applying for the new passport application. You can apply in two way first is online for that visit:

After filling up all the compulsory details and all that you can fill, get a print of the form.

For detailed steps of filling up this form, you may visit here

Another way is applying online for that you need to fill DS-11 form and to get this form visit:

PDF version of the form will be downloaded fill up the form with all the star marked detail and all that you can fill up.

Note that you need not sign the form. It has to be signed only after it is told to and in front of the acceptance agent.

Gather the document require for getting new passport

You need to have few document like:

  • Filled DS-11 form
  • Filled DS-64 form (if you haven’t reported for loss before)
  • Citizenship Evidence
  • Photocopy of citizen Evidence
  • Identity proof
  • Photocopy of Identity proof
  • Proof of relation (For Children under 16)

For the parents who are applying for the lost passport of the minor. The proof has to be submitted for both the parents or if you have proof of the custody of the minor then proof of one parent or guardian will do

  • 2×2 inch photo will be needed.

For the sample of the photo visit:

  • Depending upon your age you need to pay fee

To calculate the fee follow this link:

Citizenship Evidence

For the evidence to replace lost passport, you can submit one of the documents listed below. This documents should be original or the certified copy. Photocopy and a notarized copy are not acceptable.

  • Undamaged and fully valid U.S passport. It can also be expired one.
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Birth certificate of US that meets following requirements:
    • It must be issued by the city, country or state of birth
    • It must contain full name of the child, its place of birth and date of birth
    • It should also contain full name of the parents
    • It must be signed by the registrar
    • It should have the seal by the issuing authority
  • If born in foreign country than consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth

While replacing a lost passport if you are unable to submit one of the above listed documents or to clear any doubt regarding this you can visit:

Photocopy of Citizenship Evidence

You need to submit the photocopy of the evidence of your U.S citizenship that you are providing with the lost passport application. It should be printed on front and back if these is anything on the back. While submitting this you need to make sure that the photocopy is legible, on standard size (8.5×11 inch) white paper, it should be black and white and single sided.

In option to a photocopy of the evidence of your U.S citizenship, you can also submit second certified copy which they will keep.

If you fail to submit these documents than the process might get extended.


With the lost passport form, you also need to present you current id such that it clearly identifies you. For this you can present one of the following IDs:

  • Valid Driving license
  • Fully valid and undamaged U.S passport (may be expired)
  • Citizenship or naturalization certificate
  • State, country, or federal government ID
  • S military ID or Military depended ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matriculation certificate that is Mexican consular identification, commonly used by the parents of a U.S citizen child applicant

When you go to replace lost passport if you are not able to present one of the above listed IDs then for more information look up here:

Also if you have gone through or is in process of gender conversion then you may follow:

Photocopy of identification

You need to submit the photocopy of the ID both front and back. Make sure that photocopy is on standard (8.5×11 inch) sized white paper, it should not be double sided and the image size should not be decreased although you may increase the size of the image.

Proof of relation (For Children under 16)

For the proof that you are related to the child then you need to submit the documents listed below:

  • Birth Certificate of U.S and U.S citizenship evidence
  • If born in foreign then counselor report on the birth abroad
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption Decree (that shows that you have legally adopted that child)
  • Divorce/custody Decree (that shows that you got the custody of that child legally)

Documents like Birth Certificate of U.S shows both U.S citizenship and parental relationship. Therefore these documents must be original or certified copy, photocopies or notarized copy would not be allowed.

Most Recent Passport

Your most recent Passport should be submitted with the passport form.

  • The U.S passport should follow all the points discussed above such that it should be a fully valid passport.
  • The Old U.S passport book or card will be returned though it would be in the separate mail and not with the newly renewed passport.

Name change Document

You need to submit the legal name change document or certified copy if the name that you are currently using is different than the name on the most recent U.S passport. For proof you can submit following documents:

  • Your Marriage Certificate
  • Your Divorce decree
  • Name change document ordered by court

These documents will be returned to you via mail that would be different than the mail of your new renewed passport.

One Standard passport size photo colored

You need to submit standard size photograph for the lost passport renewal application form. The photo should fulfill the following norms:

  • Size of the photo should be of size 2×2 inches
  • Photo should be such that it shows your current appearance and it should be taken recently or should have been taken in last 6 months
  • Photograph could be both among colored and black and white
  • Photo should be such that its background should be plain white or off-white, you should be looking in the front and it should show your full face
  • In photo your face should not be covered with anything such as cap, band or hat and your attire should be normal
  • If you are prescribed to wear hearing machine, spectacles or anything like this then you should wear it while getting a photograph.

Additional documents according to what type of application you are going for Routine, Expedited or Urgent.

All the documents that are submitted should be original or a certified copy. Few of these document as citizenship evidence will be returned to you.

It is recommended that you use courier service that is fast and can be traceable to send the lost passport form and the documents related to it.

Submit the lost passport form

The lost passport application form and documents for the same are required to be submitted to an authorized agent at Application acceptance facility. U.S. has more than 8000 facilities all over the states where you can go, apply and get your passport done as fast as you need. Most of these facilities are at post office and clerks of court, other are located at towns or city’s Municipal government office and at public Library. To locate passport office near you visit:

At the Application acceptance, facility acceptance agent will cross verify all of your document and then he would tell you to sign the form in the presence.

This whole process may take up to 4 to 6 weeks if you are going for the routine process. But if you have some kind of emergency then this can be completed in 2 to 3 weeks via Expediting service but for that, you need to provide the evidence of the emergency and you need to pay an extra $60 for the Expediting service. Also if it is more urgent than the whole process can be completed within a week or even in a day depending upon the situations. For this also you need to provide the evidence for the same and also for the procedure you can book an appointment at the regional acceptance facility.

Hope you found the information about lost passport resourceful for any query or you feel that we should have included or we missed out, then comment below we will surely take a look at it and would definitely try to solve your queries.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *