Planning for the family trip and want to make the passport for your child. Take a note that getting child passport is a lot difficult than getting the adult passport. The cause of difficulty is due to increase in abduction and child trafficking so for the safety of the minors government has introduced more steps in the documentation. This increase in documentation has increased the difficulty of the process.
When you apply for the passport both parents/a guardian need to apply with the minor. Also if the passport of a minor is expired or almost expired that you cannot apply for the passport renewal for child, therefore you need to apply for the new passport again. When the minor’s passport is eligible for the renewal still the process cannot be done on just mail as in the case of adult you need to take the child in person for the process.
Basic steps for applying for the child’s passport remains the same with just one additional step that is showing parental consent:
- Fill up the child passport application form
- Gather the document require for the new child’s passport
- Show parental consent
- Submit the form
Fill up the child passport application form
For the child’s passport you can apply online or offline:
Online application for infant passport
For the online application, you need to visit this site: https://pptform.state.gov/?Submit2=Complete+Online+%26+Print
Here first you need to agree with the terms and condition by clicking on the checkbox and then hit next. There you need to navigate through the applying for the passport section. Fill the details that are compulsory and that are relevant to you. Finally, print the child passport application form.
Further detailed method of filling up form online is explained here
Offline application for infant passport
For the offline application, you need to download and print DS-11 form you can directly get this form from this link: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf
Once you have downloaded the form from the above link you need to fill the form with the black ink and make sure that all the details that you enter is correct and is without error.
Above is the sample of the DS-11 form.
Few things you need to note while filling up the form:
- When you apply online the application select the form based on what information you enter. So sometime it may select the wrong form.
- The form had to be signed when it is told to sign by acceptance officer and in front of acceptance officer.
- Larger passport book with 52- pages may be requested without incurring any cost for that you just need to tick 52-page checkbox on the top of the DS-11 form.
- If your child is issued with the social security number then you must provide it. Also, it should be provided if the social security number is issued in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
- If your child does not have social security number than you need to submit a statement signed and dated which says that “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: (Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
Gather the document require for the new child passport
You need to have documents for kids passport that need to present when you visit passport office or you need to send then with the application form like:
- Citizenship Evidence
- Photocopy of Citizenship Evidence
- Proof of relation (For Children under 16)
- Photocopy of identification
- One Standard passport size photo colored: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos.html
- Depending upon your age you need to pay fee
To calculate the fee follow this link: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html
For the evidence for a baby passport, you can submit one of the documents listed below. This documents should be original or the certified copy. Photocopy and a notarized copy are not acceptable.
- Undamaged and fully valid U.S passport. It can also be expired one.
- Citizenship certificate
- Birth certificate of US that meets following requirements:
- It must be issued by the city, country or state of birth
- It must contain full name of the child, its place of birth and date of birth
- It should also contain full name of the parents
- It must be signed by the registrar
- It should have the seal by the issuing authority
- If born in foreign country than consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth
If you are unable to submit one of the above listed documents with child passport application form or to clear any doubt regarding this you can visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/citizenship-evidence.html
Photocopy of Citizenship Evidence
You need to submit the photocopy of the evidence of your U.S citizenship that you are giving. It should be printed on front and back if these is anything on the back. While submitting this you need to make sure that the photocopy is legible, on standard size (8.5×11 inch) white paper, it should be black and white and single sided.
In option to a photocopy of the evidence of your U.S citizenship, you can also submit second certified copy which they will keep.
If you fail to submit these documents than the process might get extended.
Proof of relation (For Children under 16)
For the proof that you are related to the child then you need to submit the documents listed below with the infant passport application:
- Birth Certificate of U.S and U.S citizenship evidence
- If born in foreign then counselor report on the birth abroad
- Foreign birth certificate
- Adoption Decree (that shows that you have legally adopted that child)
- Divorce/custody Decree (that shows that you got the custody of that child legally)
Documents like Birth Certificate of U.S shows both U.S citizenship and parental relationship. Therefore these documents must be original or certified copy, photocopies or notarized copy would not be allowed.
For identification for child passport application you also need to present you current id such that it clearly identifies you. For this you can present one of the following IDs:
- Valid Driving license
- Fully valid and undamaged U.S passport (may be expired)
- Citizenship or naturalization certificate
- State, country, or federal government ID
- S military ID or Military depended ID
- Valid foreign passport
- Matriculate certificate that is Mexican consular identification, commonly used by the parents of a U.S citizen child applicant
If you are not able to present one of the above listed IDs then for more information look up here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/identification.html
Also if you have gone through or is in process of gender conversion then you may follow: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/gender.html
Photocopy of identification
You need to submit the photocopy of the ID both front and back. Make sure that photocopy is on standard (8.5×11 inch) sized white paper, it should not be double sided and the image size should not be decreased although you may increase the size of the image.
One Standard passport size photo colored
You need to submit standard size photograph for the renewal application form. The photo should fulfill the following norms:
- Size of the photo should be of size 2×2 inches
- Photo should be such that it shows your current appearance and it should be taken recently or should have been taken in last 6 months
- Photograph could be both among colored and black and white
- Photo should be such that its background should be plain white or off-white, you should be looking in the front and it should show your full face
- In photo your face should not be covered with anything such as cap, band or hat and your attire should be normal
- If you are prescribed to wear hearing machine, spectacles or anything like this then you should wear it while getting a photograph.
Show parental Consent
For a child passport, both parents/ guardians need to approve the issue of the passport.
The best possible case is that both parents/ guardians are present at the facility for the application of their child’s passport.
Suppose if both parents/ guardians are not there then four cases are possible:
- Sole legal authority is with you
- One of the parents is unable to appear
- You are unable to locate another parent
- None of the parents are able to be present there
Sole legal authority is with you
Here you need to submit one of the evidence listed below and with the application:
- Divorce decree or another custody decree which can state that you have complete custody with you and this should be guaranteed by the court itself.
- Another form which says that you have complete authority to solely apply for your child. Photocopy of this can be submitted.
- Child’s birth certificate original or certified which state that you are the only parent of the child.
- Adoption decree original or certified which state you as the only parent.
- Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person.
- Death certificate original or certified copy of the parent that cannot appear.
One of the parents is unable to appear
If one of the parents is not able to appear then you need to submit a fully filled DS-3053 form which is Statement of the Consent form. This must be submitted along with the child passport application form. The parent that cannot appear should:
- Sign and date the DS-3053 form in front of a certified notary officer.
- A photocopy (Front and back both) of the ID that was presented in front of the notary authority while filling the DS-3053 form.
Link for the DS-3053: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.pdf
You are unable to locate another parent
In the case where one of the parents cannot be located then you need to fill DS-5525 which is Statement of Exigent/ Special Family circumstances.
This form needs to be completed in as detail as possible and you may also be asked for additional information like Custody order, Incarceration order or restraining order to be on the safe side and for the protection of a child from International parental child abduction. Detail for this can be found on https://travel.state.gov/content/childabduction/en.html
Link for the DS-5525: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5525.pdf
None of the parents are able to be present there
If someone other than a parent is applying for the child’s passport then a third party should provide a permission letter in form of notarized statement from both parents/ guardian:
- With that permission letter photocopy of ID of both, the parents should be there.
- If there is only one parent/ guardian then evidence of sole custody should be presented along with the ID.
Most important thing is that the written permission of the parents should not be more than 3 months old.
Submit the child passport application form
The child passport application form and documents that are required to be submitted to an authorized agent at Application acceptance facility. U.S. has more than 8000 facilities all over the states where you can go, apply and get your passport done as fast as you need. Most of these facilities are at post office and clerks of court, other are located at towns or city’s Municipal government office and at public Library. To locate passport office near you visit: https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/
At the Application acceptance, facility acceptance agent will cross verify all of your document and then he would tell you to sign the form in the presence.
This whole process may take up to 4 to 6 weeks if you are going for the routine process. But if you have some kind of emergency then this can be completed in 2 to 3 weeks via Expediting service but for that, you need to provide the evidence of the emergency and you need to pay an extra $60 for the Expediting service. Also if it is more urgent than the whole process can be completed within a week or even in a day depending upon the situations. For this also you need to provide the evidence for the same and also for the procedure you can book an appointment at the regional acceptance facility.
Hope you found the information about getting child passport application done resourceful for any query or you feel that we should have included or we missed out, then comment below we will surely take a look at it and would definitely try to solve your queries.child passport child passport application form passport for children passports for kids renew child passport